Finishing and butchering pigs for the table
This is a one-day course for those of you who wish to produce your own pork and pork products.
During the morning we discuss the following topics spending much of our time at the farm where overalls and boots are required:
- Selecting a breed – modern or traditional
- Feeding and management of weaner to pork or bacon
- Assessing and weighing live finished pigs
- Finding a slaughter house and butcher
- Discussing cutting/processing requirements of your finished pigs Legal requirements
- Moving to slaughter (loading/identification/paperwork)
We will then have some of our rare breed sausage and pork pies available for tasting.
After lunch we will visit Aireys slaughter facility and butchers where we will see the slaughter facility (not in action) and the assessment and cutting of a traditional lop carcase. This will include the different options for various parts of the pig and obtaining the optimal financial rerun from the pork/bacon/sausage etc.
NO PIGS WILL BE SLAUGHTERED ON THIS DAY! WE WILL BE ASSESSING AND CUTTING UP ONE OF JOHN’S PIGS SLAUGHTERED AT AIREYS ABATTOIR SEVERAL DAYS EARLIER.
The cost of the course is £95.
If you book the one-day pig keeping course at the same time for the previous day the combined cost is £175.
This is a unique opportunity to evaluate live and dead pigs in the same day.
To book a place please send your name and contact details with your cheque made payable to Carole Barr (pig keeping) to
Crook Barn, Torver, Nr. Coniston, Cumbria LA21 8BP
John 07887731552 Carole 015394 41088